In Telligent Community 6.0, you can use your Facebook credentials to sign into your site.
Facebook OAuth and Facebook Connect require having a Facebook account. Obtaining one is outside of the scope of this article.
Before you are able to use the Facebook login, your Telligent Community login can only use your community credentials.
After you enable Facebook Oauth and Facebook Connect, you are able to log into Telligent Community using your Facebook credentials.
Register a new application on Facebook
Due to a Facebook restriction, you must have SSL set up to use Facebook authentication for Telligent Community.
- Navigate to http://developers.facebook.com/setup/ to set up a new Facebook application.
- Log in.
- Fill in the following details for the application:
- In Site Name, enter your site name. The name is shown to the authenticating user when authenticating against Facebook. In this example, the Telligent Community 6.0 site is called "TelligentEvolution."
- In Site URL, enter the URL of the site from the perspective of the user. The service does not actually connect to this URL, so it can be a local alias.
- Click Create app. The Security Check dialog appears.
- Enter the security text and click Submit.
- Once registered, Facebook will provide you with security details. Copy and save the App ID and App Secret values to another location.
- Select the application you just created and edit the settings. At the bottom, select the Web site, and make sure you have defined the SiteUrl as your Telligent Community URL.
Set up Facebook open authentication in Telligent Community
- Log into Telligent Community as an administrator.
- Optional: If you want to give users the opportunity to add their Twitter and Facebook ID to their profile, you can add the fields in the widget at this point. Note that if you select the Required check box, they will be required to furnish this information. To add this profile information:
- Collect user information upon registration by adding profile fields:
- Click Edit page.
- Navigate to the user profile page.
- Click Select page and select user-createuser.
- Click Edit selected page.
- On the User - Login and Create widget, click Configure .
- Check the Mode drop-down list and select Create if this is not already selected.
- Move the fields you want to request from the left column to the left column - for example, Mobile and Facebook - using the > key.
- If you want to require these fields for sign-in, select the Required check boxes on each field.
- Click Save in the dialog.
- Click Save page.
- Add a Terms of Service requirement:
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > System Administration > Site Administration > Site Configuration > Setup > General Site Settings.
- In the Terms of Service field, enter a URL for your Terms of Service agreement. (Recommendation: To create a TOS specifically for this community, create a content page [Control Panel Dashboard > System Administration > Site Administration > Site Content > Content Pages]. Copy the URL to that page and enter it in the TOS field in Site Setup.)
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > System Administration > Site Administration > Site Configuration > Manage Plugins.
- Select the Facebook OAuth Client check box, and click its Configure button.
- In the Facebook OAuth Client dialog box, paste the following settings into the appropriate text fields:
- Consumer Key: the App ID copied from Facebook
- Consumer Secret: the App Secret copied from Facebook
- Authorize Base URL (should already be set): https://graph.facebook.com/oauth/authorize
- Access Token URL (should already be set): https://graph.facebook.com/oauth/access_token
- Click Save in the dialog box.
- Double-check that the plug-in is enabled in the Manage Plugins page, and click Save.
- Log out. If you click Sign inagain, Facebook will be a sign-in option.
Sign into Telligent Community with Facebook Connect
Using Facebook Connect, you can enable your Facebook credentials to be used for signing into your Telligent Community site.
- In the sign-in screen, click Facebook. The Connect with Facebook dialog appears.
- Click Connect with Facebook. The Facebook Login dialog appears.
- Enter your Facebook email and password credentials in the dialog.
Click Login. The Telligent Community site appears. Notice that your Facebook user ID is now signed into Telligent Community using Facebook Connect.
Now, whenever you are presented with the Telligent Community login screen, you can use Facebook Connect (or no extra services) to connect to Telligent Community.
If you use Facebook Connect to log into Telligent Community, you will then be logged out of Facebook when you log out of Telligent Community.