Telligent Community 6.0 approaches widgets from the concept of the Widget Studio - an environment in which you can completely customize any aspect of our widgets using upgrade-safe Platform APIs.
In this release, an administrator can replace all instances of an existing widget with a custom widget from the Control Panel.
Widgets are lightweight, reusable user interface (UI) elements. Within Telligent's platform, widgets are used for all UI, whether a menu or a forums list. Related widgets are combined to create applications. For example, the forums application in the is a series of widgets that act in unison to provide a forums experience.
The great part about widgets is that from a user experience point of view you can dial-up or dial-down the functionality by adding or removing widgets Furthermore, the platform enables you to control properties on widgets as well as drag-and-drop placement.
View a list of factory default widgets by release where you can click through to a definition for each widget.
For each theme's pages, we've provided a default layout of widgets throughout the site, but you can move, rename, remove, add and/or customize each widget within each page. And you can control which widgets are available on each of the four main sections of your community:
- Dashboard - Home page for all community members (by default customizable by each individual community member)
- Group pages - Home page and all application pages within the group except for blogs (by default customizable by the group owner(s))
- Blog pages - All blog application pages (by default customizable by the blog author and group owner(s))
- Site pages - All other pages throughout your community including log in/out, error pages, etc. (customizable only by the administrator)
This fine-grained access control is determined through permissions assigned to community members (Registered Users role), group owners, and blog authors.
Some widgets are designed to be used only in very specific areas and, when used on pages they are not designed for, may cause your page not to display correctly. As an administrator, you can always fix this problem by switching into Edit Page mode by including the Page-EditMode=True query string parameter on the URL for the page (e.g., http://localhost/CS/publicopen1/subpublicopena/b/create.aspx?Page-EditMode=True).
All of the widgets included with Telligent Community 6.0 are completely customizable. For information about this, consult the Developer documentation.
Widgets are newly portable in single configuration files in this release, making it very easy to import, export, or save as new widgets. You can even get or offer them in the Telligent Marketplace.
This section contains:
- Adding and removing widgets
- Configure blog feed mashup
- Control access to widgets
- Example using unfiltered HTML widget
- Properties you can customize in any widget
- Widget configuration in Edit Page mode
- Widget Studio capabilities
- Widgets by releases
- Widgets defined
The Developer Documentation provides granular information on configuring widgets.