In Telligent Community 6.0, widgets are part of a suite with major new features centering around:
- Widget design studio - Using Telligent's Velocity-based scripting and dynamic configuration, you can completely manipulate any Telligent Evolution 6.0 widget - adding, editing, saving as, or even creating new widgets.
- Customization for themes - In the Control Panel, you can easily save or replace widgets throughout a theme.
- Portability - Widgets are now completely contained in single configuration files instead of partially residing within the theme.config file.
- Safety - Widgets can be safely reverted to defaults. They can be upgraded safely, since they are built on upgrade-safe Platform APIs.
As a system administrator
New features and functions useful for system administration include:
- Widget enabling or disabling - Do this either from the dedicated tab or through a button in the Manage Widgets tab GUI. Also view which themes have the widget enabled without leaving the tab.
- Theme-specific widget replacement - You can replace a widget in a site, group, blog, or dashboard-specific theme. This would be helpful, for example, when you want the same widget to work two different ways between groups.
- Theme-specific widget save as - Using the new save as for a theme feature, you can save a version of a widget specifically to a theme (or as the default version for all themes)
- Importing or exporting a widget - You can export the entire configuration of a widget for use by others, and you can easily import a saved widget to your site.
- Reverting to its default - If you modify a widget, you can later revert this widget to the original default implementation.
- Widget deletion - You can entirely remove a widget, if desired, without accessing core files.
You can access the Telligent Marketplace on the Web or via a button in the Manage Widgets tab.
Learn how to work with widgets in 6.0 developer documentation.