When creating a new media gallery, be sure to:
- Consider which group, within the community, the media gallery should belong and who should have access to its files. You can set site-wide configuration options for all galleries and still override some of those options individually for each gallery on the site.
- Review the media gallery default settings and decide which settings to change for the gallery you are creating.
When you create a media gallery, you can specify the basic gallery properties such as the name, description, and list of owners as well as which users are allowed to upload, edit, and remove content from the gallery.
You can also specify the group where you want the gallery to belong; assign it to the gallery site root, or set the default file view type (a list or thumbnails) if the option is enabled in the site-wide media gallery default settings.
To create a media gallery:
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > System Administration > Media Gallery Administration > Galleries and Groups > New Media Gallery.
- Furnish the following information:
- Name - Name of the media gallery.
- Web Address - Media gallery URL. Telligent Community provides a default setting that you can change manually. You should not change this value after saving the media gallery because it will affect any links to the media gallery.
- Owner(s) - Specifies the media gallery owner(s). These are users who have permission to download files, edit files, and remove files from the media gallery. You do not have to assign the permissions for users who are specified here.
- Group - Group to whom the media gallery belongs. You can also assign the media gallery to the site root.
- Enable Media Gallery - Makes the media gallery accessible to users. The media gallery application must be enabled at the site level if you assigned the gallery to the site root. Media gallery applications must be enabled at the site level and group level before you can enable individual media galleries.
- Index Files - Enables files for indexing when users run a search on the Web site.
- View Type - Specifies how files appear in the gallery, with the options being thumbnail view or list view.
Note: This option is enabled only if the Enable view type override option is enabled on the Default Settings page. You can also select a view type on the Presentation page.
Note that The most recent setting between the Settings page and the Presentation page will take effect. For example, if you set the type to Thumbnails on the Settings page and the Presentation page was previously set to List, the files will display as thumbnails. If you set the type to List on the Presentation page and the Settings page was previously set to Thumbnails, the files will display in the list format.
- Default Language - Specifies the language in which media gallery content will display.
- Click Save.
- After you create the gallery, you can access additional settings through the editing functionality. These additional settings include enabling direct links to download files from external Web sites, determine allowable file types, set permissions, determine file download quotas for files being downloaded to the gallery, and specify the amount of storage space allotted to the gallery.