Groups define the areas of interest for your community and allow you to control the type of content and the access to that content for community members. You can define a group hierarchy with any number of groups and levels of subgroups.
The group default settings allow you to set properties that will affect all groups in your community. When you set up the group default properties, you must determine how much control you want to allow group owners when they set up individual top-level groups and subgroups. For example, if you enable theme configuration, group owners will be able customize themes at the group level. If you disable theme configuration, all groups in the community will use the default theme.
In addition to theme configuration, the default settings also control:
- Group default theme
- Group avatars, including dimensions and selectable avatars
After you configure the groups default properties, you can add groups and manage the group applications.
Group default presentation properties
To define the groups default presentation properties:
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > System Administration > Group Administration > Configuration > Default Group Theme.
- Set the group Default Presentation properties:
- Enable themes - Group owners can select a customized theme from the list of available themes.
- Enable theme configuration - Group owners can customize theme properties. Not all themes have configurable properties, so this property affects only themes with configurable properties.
- Default theme - Default theme used by all new groups.
- Avatar dimensions - Default avatar dimensions. The avatar dimensions cannot be modified by group owners.
- Change avatar - Change the default group avatar. You can upload a remote avatar to the selectable list and then select the avatar from the selectable list.
- Enable uploaded avatars - Uploads avatars from a remote source to the list of selectable avatars.
- Enable selectable avatars - Enables the Selectable Avatars property.
- Selectable Avatars - Allows you to change the default avatar by selecting a different avatar from the selectable avatar list. This feature can be used only if the Enable selectable avatars property is enabled.
- Click Save to apply the settings.
Add group content pages
Additional content pages can be added from the Control Panel to URLs that you as a group owner define. These pages can be managed from the Control Panel and can be customized to contain any widget. The content pages also display in search results if they contain text content.
When you add a content page, you gain the ability to customize the page a great deal - such as by adding multiple widgets, controlling the page layout, or adding URLs.
To add a group content page:
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > My Groups > [Select group] > Configure > Content pages.
- Click Add Page. The Create New Content Page dialog box appears.
- Enter a title in the Title field, and enter a URL for the page in the URL key field.
- Click Create Content Page. The new page appears in the Content Pages listing.
- At this point, you can change the page's name (Rename) or remove (Delete) the page. You can also change its layout and add widgets:
- Click Layout. The page's Edit page mode appears.
- Click Change page layout.
- You can now change the page's layout in a manner similar to changing a Home page or blog page layout.
- After selecting the page layout, you can add widgets to your group's new content page.
This section contains the following articles:
- Create group structure - Create a group, specifying its joining parameters, in order to control application access.
- Create a group - Create a group from the Control Panel.
- Create a group (for group owners) - If you are a group owner, you can create a group without an admin's help.
- Delete a group - Delete a group as an admin.
- Delete a group (for group owners) - Delete a group you own without the assistance of an admin.