These installation instructions apply to Document Preview 1.1 and higher. Document Preview 1.1 requires that you have Telligent Community 7.x and .NET 4 installed on your site.
Install the SQL files
- Navigate to the SqlScripts folder in the installation package.
- Execute the SQL file located in this folder against the database where you want Document Preview to log its file conversions. This is traditionally the same database as your Telligent Community site.
Install the converter
- Navigate to the server where your Job Scheduler runs.
- Locate the Converter directory in the installation package and copy the executable file from that folder to a location on that server of your choice. The location you choose should allow the account the Job Scheduler is running as to access and execute this file.
- Make note of the local folder path for later.
Install the Web and Job Scheduler files
Always back up your Web files, database, and filestorage before installing new components.
- In your installation package, locate the Web folder.
- Copy the contents of the web folder into your Telligent Community site, overwriting any existing files and merging any folders.
- Stop your Job Scheduler service.
- In the installation package, locate the Web folder, and within that folder find the bin folder.
- Copy all of the dll files from the /web/bin folder to the root of your Job Scheduler installation.
Add the Job
- While still in your Job Scheduler installation directory, locate and edit the tasks.config file in a standard editor.
- Add the following job node as a child node of the <jobs /> node:
<job schedule="0 */2 * * * ? *" type="Telligent.Evolution.FlexPaperDocumentViewer.DocumentConversionJob, Telligent.Evolution.FlexPaperDocumentViewer" />
By default, this job will run every two minutes. You can adjust the schedule to suit your needs.
Configure Telligent Evolution
- Log into your Telligent Community site as an administrator and navigate to Control Panel > System Administration > Site Administration > Manage Plugins. Locate the Document Preview plugin, Document Viewer.
- Click Configure and set the properties on all three tabs according to the following table.
|Viewer Options tab
||Sets the priority when multiple file viewers can display the same file(lower number takes priority)
|Full Screen Mode
- Full screen Mode without keyboard support. This is the default experience where full screen mode is rendered within flash and you use the escape key to return to the standard mode. When using this option, the keyboard will not be available when in full screen. This is a security limitation of flash.
- Open in browser window. In this mode the viewer will fill the current browser window or tab rather than the whole screen. This allows keyboard commands to be accepted. Depending on the browser, the experience can vary between the viewer loading in the current window or tab or opening a new one. In the scenario where it opens in the current window or tab, you would use the back button in your browser to return to the normal view.
|File Types tab
Determine what file extensions are converted
|Converter Options tab
|Path To converter directory
||This is the path to the converter executable installed previously on your Job Scheduler server. This path should be a local path to the Job Scheduler. For example, if you copied the executable file to c:\pdfconverter\, you should enter c:\pdfconverter\ as the value for this field. This field is required.
|Path to FlexPaper files directory
||This is the relative path to the FlexPaper directory installed when you installed the web files into your site. It should be left at its default value.
|Conversion Timeout In Seconds
||This is the maximum amount of time in seconds the converter will run in an attempt to convert single file.
|Maximum Memory Usage in Megabytes
||When the conversion process usages this amount of memory, it will terminate itself to preserve resources
This value determines whether document preview will use a connection string defined in plugin configuration (see Database connection string below) or a connection string in the connectionStrings.config file with a specific name (see Connection string name below). The default value is Connection String Name
|Connection string name
This is the name of a connection string defined in the site's connectionStrings.config file. The default value is SiteSqlServer. This field is required and only visible when the Connection Type is Connection String Name
|Database connection string
This defines the connection to the database where you ran the SQL scripts previously. It is traditionally your Telligent Community database. Here is an example connection string:
This field is required and only visible when the Connection Type is Connection String
||This is what will be displayed in a file viewer while a document is being converted.
- Save the configuration.
- Select the check box next to the Document Preview plugin to enable it, then click Save at the bottom of the plugin page.
- You can now start your Telligent Job Scheduler service.
If you have trouble with Document Preview hanging, it might be related to the number of pages being processed or some other timeout issue, such as the conversion from PDF to SWF/SWFF hanging.
Document Preview does not have a size limit; however, extremely long documents (for example, documents containing hundreds to thousands of pages) may take hours or days to process. Excel files (.xls or .xlsx) are most susceptible to generating a large number of pages, so these file types are by default not enabled.
One way you can tell whether it's a timeout issue is to look at the exceptions log as well as performing the following query against the database:
select * from telligent_DocumentPreview_Files where FileStatus = 2 order by Timestamp desc
If timeout is the problem, the query result will indicate this for the file. If a file is hanging, you can adjust the timeout by changing the Conversion time in seconds - which is the timeout amount - from its default of 60 seconds to 500 (five minutes).
If you'd like Information about installing Document Preview with Telligent Enterprise, see this link.