||The User's Guide describes the basic functionalities you will find in Telligent Community. The information contained in the User's Guide is categorized by application, groups, user settings, dashboard, and general information. If you do not quickly find what you are looking for, use the search text box which is available on every page of your Web site.
This section contains the following material:
- Connections between community members
- Dashboard/Home Page
- Telligent Community quick-start FAQ
- Participating in groups
- Using applications
- Working with content
Relationships are an integral part of a community. This section contains the following articles:
- Following - Follow friends' or other community members' activities.
- Friend relationships - Create (or cancel) friend relationships with other members to share data.
- Private messages - Have conversations with other community members.
- Status messages - Find out how to leave and view status messages.
Your Dashboard, or Home Page, is your home base in Telligent Community. You can edit your profile, change your site settings, edit your preferences, and even customize how the Dashboard looks. This section contains the following articles:
- Change your avatar - Personalize your profile with an image.
- Customize your dashboard/home page - Change your Dashboard/Home Page by rearranging its page layout or adding/removing widgets.
- Dashboard page layout - Change how Dashboard content is laid out, or add/delete/configure Dashboard widgets.
- Dashboard widgets - Control the content you want displayed on your Dashboard.
- Favorites - Add links to favorite community Web site places or content to your Dashboard/Home Page that will also be displayed on your profile.
- Settings - Change the settings related to how your information is displayed and how you see content; create an API key, manage your email options, or change your password.
- Advanced Options page - Set your post order, content editor, signature, and date format, or create an API key.
- Basic Options page - Set your display name, birthday, gender, language, public email, and favorite-sharing options, and specify RSS feeds to share.
- Change your password - Change your sign-in information without the help of an admin.
- Create an API key - Create secure keys to authenticate for Web service calls without providing your Telligent Community user name and password.
- Email options page - Change your email notifications, conversation notifications, or group Email Digest subscriptions.
- Sign-In Information page - Change your password; also view your sign-in name and last sign-in date.
Telligent Community quick-start FAQ
Concise instructions on maneuvering in Telligent Community and performing common actions.
Participating in groups
Being part of a group provides you with messaging and application access in Telligent Community. This section contains the following articles:
- Group messages - Communicate with group members via the group messaging functionality.
- Group functionalities - Learn about membership status, group members lists, mentions, and quality authors.
- Join a group - Request membership in a group.
This section contains information pertaining to your profile such as tab descriptions or editing information in the following articles:
- Profile - Describes the tabs in your profile, including those new to Telligent Community 7.0.
Edit your profile - Provide a portrait of your interests and connections to others in the community
Telligent Community provides several kinds of application features - blogs, file galleries, forums, and wikis. This section contains the following articles:
- Quick Post - Use this widget as a fast, easy way to post content to any application you can access.
- Using blogs - Write a post, manage your posts, see publishing options, or subscribe.
- Blog management settings for users- Make a blog post featured, cross-post a blog to another blog, manage comments and feedback, and manage blog tags.
- Editing tags for a post - Customize the tag(s) used to surface your blog post is surfaced by SEO (search engine optimization) or to make it appear in a tag cloud.
- Manage blog posts- Manage feedback, posting, and publishing options.
- Manage blog post advanced options - Display a specific post as featured content on your site or on your blog home page; enter keywords into the URL, and enable cross-posting between blogs for this post.
- Manage blog post comments & feedback - Allow or disallow readers to comment on and/or rate the post; get notifications of comments, and display trackbacks to your blog.
- Manage blog post publication settings - Decide whether to syndicate summaries of your posts along with the posts; write the summary, and post-date the post if you wish.
- Preview blog post content - Check out how your blog post displays before you publish it.
- Manage blog tags - Add, change, or delete tags.
- Blog post publishing options - Publish a blog post or unpublish/save it by saving it as a draft.
- Email subscribe to a blog or post - Get notified of new posts in this blog by subscribing to it in email.
- General descriptions of blog functionalities - Learn about writing posts, favorites, RSS, and content or comment subscription.
- Subscribe to a blog RSS feed - Receive a syndicated RSS feed for this blog.
- Write a blog post - Create a new post in a blog.
- Using file galleries - Upload or sort files, edit a post, or subscribe to a gallery.
- Edit a media gallery post - Edit a post which has been uploaded to a media gallery.
- Email subscribe to this media gallery item - Receive email notifications when users comment on the media gallery item.
- General descriptions of file gallery functionalities - General information about functions found in the media gallery Options panel (such as email subscribe, share, favorite the gallery, view a slideshow, or subscribe to gallery RSS).
- Sort media files - Organize the media files by name, number of downloads, views, ratings, or comments.
- Subscribe to a media RSS feed - Create a subscription feed to a gallery using Live Bookmarks, Outlook, Yahoo, Google, or another application you specify.
- Upload media file - Use Quick Post or New Post to add a file to a gallery.
- Using forums - Create a post, mute a thread, make a post sticky, subscribe, and learn about discussion vs. Q&A forums.
- Create a readers' poll - Add a poll to your forum thread.
- Create forum post- The basics of creating a new thread, using the rich text editor to format it, and select featured content, locking, or stickiness options.
- Forum post Compose tab - Basic post options and rich text formatting.
- Forum post Options tab - Attach a file, feature a post, lock out replies, or make it sticky.
- Discussion vs. question threads- Comparing and contrasting the two types of forum posts; using the various answer options for Q&A posts.
- Using Q&A forums - Answer questions, suggest answers, verify answers, or reject answers.
- Edit forum post - Change a post's text or header, and post-date a forum post.
- General descriptions of forum functionalities - Options typically available to you as a poster.
- Mute or unmute a discussion thread - Turn off email updates from a forum thread you've been following.
- Specifying a post to display first in a forum - sticky feature - How to make a post sticky in your forum.
- Subscribe to a forum by email - Receive notifications of new forum posts at the email address you registered with.
- Subscribe to forum RSS feed- Receive notifications of new posts via RSS in your email.
- About forum feed RSS - Viewing a forum, thread, or complete forum RSS feed list.
- Using wikis - Create/edit/delete wiki pages, revert to a previous version, capture a forum thread to a wiki, link pages, manage comments, or subscribe.
- Capture a forum thread to a wiki - Convert the content of a forum thread into a wiki page in the same group.
- Comparing versions of a wiki page - Use a wiki page's History tab to view saved versions of the wiki page and to view a comparison of the two versions.
- Create a wiki page - Use Quick Post or New Post to create and publish a new wiki page.
- Create an in-page table of contents (TOC) - Use the rich text editor anchor and link buttons to create a TOC at any location on a page.
- Edit wiki settings- Change a page's name or manage wiki comments.
- Edit a wiki page - Perform basic editing functions in the rich text editor.
- Wiki editing conflicts - View or overwrite another editor's changes.
- General descriptions of wiki functionalities - Learn about subscribing to wiki changes by email; favoriting a wiki or removing a favorite; sharing a link to a wiki page, or locking a wiki page.
- Manage wiki comments - Publish, edit, or delete wiki comments.
- Receiving email notifications for wiki article changes - New in Telligent Community 7.0 - Get notified any time a page is revised and receive a link to the page.
- Revert a wiki page to a previous version - Using the History tab and version comparison, revert to any previously saved version of a page.
- Subscribe to a wiki RSS feed - Subscribe to wiki changes (additions or edits) via RSS.
- Using links with wiki pages - Using wiki link syntax or the enhanced text editor link button, create new pages, link to other pages, link to specific headers in other documents, or link to documents in other wikis.
- Word-wheel application searches - Telligent Community's way of making it easier to find the application you're looking for.
Using Telligent Event Calendar for Telligent Community
Learn what you can do as a group owner or member and work with calendar events.
Working with content
You can work with the data contained in blogs, file galleries, forums, or wikis in several ways. This section contains the following articles:
- Content editing - Insert content from Microsoft Word; spell check content; insert a horizontal rule, or insert an emoticon.
- Edit content using the enhanced editor - Use the tools in the enhanced text editor (font, list styles, indent, justification, highlighting, cutting and pasting, media insertion, or HTML editing).
- Using spell check in supported browsers - Use the spell check options in Telligent Community with the spell check options in your browser.
- Edit in fullscreen mode - View the page contents in a screen-wide window while still having access to the enhanced editor tools.
- Embed a media file into a content page - Insert a static image, video, or sound file into a page using the enhanced text editor.
- Embedding a video in a post - Use wiki syntax to embed a video link in a post.
- Embedding quoted text in a post - Use wiki syntax to indent a block of content on post text.
- Emoticons - Use text shortcuts to add emoticons to your posts.
- Featured content - Draw community attention to specific content by displaying it on the Featured Content widget.
- Flag content or a comment as abusive - Telligent Community 7.0 enables you to flag abusive content and comments.
- Format text - Change font family, style, and size; create lists, and select alignment options into a content page.
- Like content - Telligent Community 7.0 lets you share your enthusiasm for a status message, content, reply, or comment using the like feature.
- Mentioning a group, application, or user - Utilize Telligent Community 7.0's mention service for groups, users, and applications to involve others and display where mentions have occurred.
- Supported video and file upload formats - The file formats that Telligent Community supports uploading.
- Supported video sites - Embed video in a Telligent Community blog, wiki, or forum pages, or share media by pasting the URL of the site and video directly into the Quick Post window.
- Text editor links and anchors - Using links and anchors in the enhanced text editor to link to different areas on the same page.
- Using faceted search - How to use search to find the content you want in applications, status messages, comments, @mentions, and #hashtags.
- Using hashtags - Use Telligent Community 7.0's new #hashtag feature to interlink discussions and content.
- Using tables - Use the table creator button to create a table or modify table rows, columns, cells, and background color.
- Using the tag cloud - Locate content on the basis of tags using the Tag Cloud widget.