When you create a forum thread, the Create/edit post Compose tab might have options for both Discussion and Question. If you see both options, you can select the format for the replies. If you don't see any options, one of the two types was selected when the forum was created.
The types of forum threads are:
- Discussion - This is a traditional discussion format that only gives respondents a Reply field and post button.
- Question - This format presents the thread as a question requesting answers. It gives respondents a Reply field and a Suggest as answer check box, which indicates the respondent is confident that his/her answer is correct, in addition to the post button.
You can find out the status of the thread, such as having a suggested answer posted, or see how many responses have been posted on your thread, by looking at the Forum - Thread List widget on the forum Home Page.
- For either type of thread, you can view the number of replies it has received beside the reply bubble at the right of the thread title.
- If the thread is a Q&A, viewing the status bubble to the right of the thread title will reveal its status: An unanswered question has a red question mark; a thread with a suggested answer has a yellow question mark; and a thread with a verified answer has a green check mark.
Unanswered question - red question mark bubble
Suggested answer - yellow question mark bubble
Verified answer - green check mark bubble
- It's also possible for the thread originator to reject an answer that has been suggested, or even verified, by mousing over the title in the post window and selecting Reject answer.