The Activity Story Stream is new in Telligent Community 7.0 and replaces the Activity Message List widget of previous releases.
Social engagement tool
This widget allows you to view content directly in the activity stream and to engage with the content by commenting, replying to comments, sending private messages, liking, # hashtags, and mentions.
Optionally if Document Preview is installed, you can preview documents placed in the stream.
Your activity on the site is listed on your user profile Activity
tab. Note that the activity only includes actions where you are an "actor" in the story. Commenting on others' activity stories doesn't make you an actor in those stories, so they're not included on your activity tab. In addition to activity stories, your Activity tab includes application posts, friendships established, and groups joined.
Customizable activity stories
You can customize this widget sitewide by enabling plugins for each kind of activity story - including:
- Blog activity
- Blog post activity
- Forum activity
- Forum reply activity
- Forum thread activity
- Friendship activity
- Gallery activity
- Group activity
- Joining group users activity
- Media activity
- Status message activity
- User avatar updated activity
- Wiki activity
- Wiki page activity
- Enable or disable each activity type above from being reported in the Activity Story Stream using the Manage Plugins page.
- Specify in the Activity Story Stream widget whether users will see these activities for all community members, group members, friends/followed members, or only themselves.
Content is now accessible and visible from the activity stream.
- View thumbnails of all content directly in the stream without having to navigate to each post for details about it. For example, if someone posts a video in the file gallery, an image of the video shows in the activity stream and, if clicked, displays in theater view. (If Document Preview is installed on your community, any compatible and enabled document type will also be displayed in the activity stream.)
- Engage quickly with multiple content items instead of having to individually navigate to each one for commenting or favoriting, etc.
You have multiple ways of keeping up with or responding to users in the activity stream.
- Any time a user posts a new avatar, you can see it in the activity stream.
- Stories show date and time ago (such as "2 hours ago") in the activity stream. Clicking on the "time ago" takes you to a view of just that story on the user's profile page.
- "Send a Private Message" appears on stories whose settings allow for them, enabling you to start a conversation with the story author.
- When you have multiple friend requests, they're consolidated into one activity message.
Commenting is easier and more user-friendly.
- You can add a comment to a content item (or status message) directly from the activity stream without navigating to the original post.
- Commenting on activities saves the comment with the content. For example, if you comment on a new blog post activity, the comment is on the post, not the activity.
- Comments are collapsed if there are more than four comments, and a link to "view all [#] comments" appears.
- Activity stream comments for new users, new group users, new friendships, new user avatars, and third-party messages are not indexed in search.
Activity Story Stream scopes messages to the context and filters by interaction type, followers, or content type.
- The widget can filter messages by messages and activities as well as by other configurable filters.
- This widget can be scoped to the site, group, or user level in its configuration. So for example when it's in group mode, the widget scopes to that group's content.
- You can filter content by application type, author and other search filters directly within any content listing (including activity stream).
- Message authors or moderators can delete status messages.
- An indicator displays next to new posts or comments since the last time you focused the browser.
- The activity stream can be configured to enable infinite scrolling (the endless stream option) after 12 messages.
- In the story view video, and images appear (if supported with our file viewers and if the file viewers are configured).
- Clicking on a video or image opens it in theater view.
- If you enter a URL to a video or image an inline image appears (if supported and configured).
- The stream is automatically refreshed when new activities occur, so you don't have to manually refresh to see updates.
- If Document Preview is installed, documents appear in theater view. Clicking the file icon opens the theater view, or clicking on the view link takes you to the file gallery post.
- Activity stories can bring other users or groups into conversations by using @mentions that link in the activity stream to the mentioned user's profile.
If you are @mentioned, you'll see a notification in your profile Mentions tab. If you or one of your groups receives an @mention, the @ icon on the Site - User Navigation widget glows to indicate new mentions. Mentions are searchable.
For more information about developing with the activity story messages and stream, see Activity Stream.
Activity message and story email template APIs
Telligent Community 7.0 includes the following Telligent Evolution 7.0 activity message and story email template APIs.
Email template associated types
- ActivityMessage Email Template API Supplementary Type
- ActivityStory Email Template API Supplementary Type
- ActivityStoryActor Email Template API Supplementary Type
Email template extensions
- $core_v2_activityMessage Email Template Extension - Enables email templates to use ActivityMessages
- $core_v2_activityStory Email Template Extension - Enables email templates to use Activity Stories
- $email_blogViews - Enables email templates to extract blog data from activity messages
- $email_forumViews - Enables email templates to extract forum data from activity messages
- $email_galleryViews - Enables email templates to extract gallery data from activity messages
- $email_groupViews - Enables email templates to extract group data from activity messages
- $email_userViews - Enables email templates to extract user data from activity messages
- $email_wikiViews - Enables email templates to extract wiki data from activity messages
Activity message, story, and actor In-process APIs
Telligent Community 7.0 includes the following Telligent Evolution 7.0 activity message, story, and actor In-process APIs.
In-process associated types
- ActivityMessage In-Process API Supplementary Type
- ActivityMessagesCreateOptions In-Process API Supplementary Type
- ActivityMessagesListOptions In-Process API Supplementary Type
- ActivityStory In-Process API Supplementary Type
- ActivityStoryActor In-Process API Supplementary Type
- ActivityStoryFilter In-Process API Supplementary Type
- ActivityStoryListOptions In-Process API Supplementary Type
In-process API event arguments
- ActivityStoryAfterCreateEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
- ActivityStoryAfterDeleteEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
- ActivityStoryAfterUpdateEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
- ActivityStoryBeforeCreateEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
- ActivityStoryBeforeDeleteEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
- ActivityStoryBeforeUpdateEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
- ActivityStoryRenderEventArgs In-Process API Event Argument
In-process API services
- ActivityMessages In-Process API Service
- ActivityStories In-Process API Service
Activity story plugin APIs
Telligent Community 7.0 includes the following Telligent Evolution 7.0 activity actor and story plugin APIs.
Plugin associated types
- ActivityStoryActor Plugin Supplementary Type
- ActivityStoryCreateOptions Plugin Supplementary Type
- ActivityStoryUpdateOptions Plugin Supplementary Type
- IActivityStory Plugin Supplementary Type
- IActivityStoryController Plugin Supplementary Type
- IActivityStoryContentType Plugin Type
- IActivityStoryType Plugin Type
Activity message and story REST endpoints
Telligent Community 7.0 includes the following Telligent Evolution 7.0 activity message and story REST APIs.
Activity message REST endpoints
- Create Activity Message REST Endpoint
- Delete Activity Message REST Endpoint
- List Activity Message REST Endpoint
- Show Activity Message REST Endpoint
Activity story REST endpoints
- Delete Activity Story REST Endpoint
- List Activity Story REST Endpoint
- Show Activity Story REST Endpoint