The HTML5 Video Transcoder enables videos of any format to be uploaded to Telligent Evolution and to be made playable directly within the browser without using plugins. The HTML5 Video Transcoder automatically converts uploaded videos to HTML5 formats supporting all modern browsers with a Flash-based fallback for older browsers. The HTML5 Video Transcoder also enables previewing uploaded videos via a screenshot automatically taken from the source.
Note that externally hosted videos are not encoded.
These instructions apply only to the 7.0 version of the Video Transcoder being installed against a Telligent Evolution 7.0 platform instance. Telligent Enterprise 4.0 is part of the Telligent Evolution 7.0 platform.
- Always back up your web files, database, and filestorage before installing new components.
- Unblock the zip package by right clicking it and going to Properties. If there is an unblock button at the bottom of the Properties window, click it to unblock the zip package. If not, the zip package is already unblocked.
- Ensure the database user for the Telligent Evolution instance has proper ddladmin permissions on the database, because the Video Transcoder plugin installs a new table.
Install the Web files
- In the installation package, locate the Web folder.
- Copy the contents of the Webfolder into your Telligent Enterprise site, merging existing folders.
- For example, if your Web site is located at c:/Web, it would end up containing c:/Web/bin/Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding.dll.
Install the Job Scheduler files
- Stop the Job Scheduler service.
- In the installation package, locate the Tasks folder.
- Copy the contents of the Tasks folder to the root of your Job Scheduler installation.
- For example, if your Job Scheduler root was c:/Tasks, it would end up containing c:/Tasks/ffmpeg and c:/Tasks/Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding.dll.
Modify the Job Scheduler configuration files
- In your Job Scheduler installation directory, locate and edit the tasks.config file in a standard editor.
- Add the following job node as a child node of the jobs/cron/jobs node:
<job schedule="0 */2 * * * ? *" type="Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding.TranscodingJob, Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding"/>
- By default, this job will run every two minutes. You can adjust the schedule to suit your needs.
- Restart your IIS application pool. However, DO NOT start the Job Scheduler until after configuration is complete within your Telligent Enterprise site as instructed in the next section.
- Log into your Telligent Enterprise site as an administrator and navigate to Control Panel > System Administration > Site Administration > Manage Plugins. Locate the Video Transcoding plugin, HTML5 Video Transcoding.
- Click Configure and set the properties on all three tabs according to the following table.
||The maximum width (in pixels) at which the video will be transcoded from its source. If the source video is wider, it will be scaled down retaining its original aspect ratio. If the source video is narrower, it will not be up-scaled. This does not influence the playback size, which is still governed by the theme. default: 1024
||The maximum height (in pixels) at which the video will be transcoded from its source. If the source video is taller, it will be scaled down retaining its original aspect ratio. If the source video is shorter, it will not be up-scaled. This does not influence the playback size, which is still governed by the theme. default: 768
||The maximum video bitrate (in kbps) at which the source video will be transcoded. default: 768
||The maximum audio bitrate (for both channels combined, in kbps) at which the source video's audio will be transcoded. default: 128
||Determines whether the transcoded video will retain both audio channels (if it has two) or just one. default: checked
||The point in the video's playback (at that second) where it takes a screenshot for displaying as the video's preview and thumbnail. default: 5
|Show Basic Viewer while Queued
||When selected, videos that have been uploaded and scheduled to transcode but have not yet begun to transcode will render via the classic, default, video file viewer included with Evolution. This is useful when a large backlog of videos is expected. default: false
||The timeout (in seconds) at which the video transcoder should quit if it has not completed transcoding a given video. default: 1800
- Save the configuration.
- Select the check box next to the HTML5 Video Transcoding plugin to enable it, then click Save at the bottom of the plugin page. Please see the note below under 'Uninstallation' regarding being careful about disabling the plugin.
- You can now start your Telligent Job Scheduler service and installation is complete.
- First disable the plugin by unchecking the check box next to the HTML5 Video Transcoding plugin in plugin management. This will effectively uninstall the plugin as well as delete all previously transcoded videos and remove the database table containing records of transcoded videos.
Careful: Only disable the plugin if you are sure you want to also delete all transcoded formats of videos. Disabling (and uninstalling) the transcoder will not delete the original source videos but it will remove all transcoded formats. Re-enabling will re-queue videos for transcoding as if they were being viewed for the first time.
- Stop the Job Scheduler.
- Remove the TranscodingJob from the Job Scheduler's tasks.config.
- Remove the ffmpeg directory and Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding.dll from your Job Scheduler's directory.
- Remove Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding.dll from your Web/bin directory.
- Restart the Job Scheduler.
These steps apply only to upgrading a Telligent Evolution 7.0 platform community's transcoder which previously used the Telligent Evolution 6.x platform and the 6.x version of the Video Transcoder.
- Follow the same installation steps identified above.
- Remove the /vt/ directory from Web, which was part of the previous version of the encoder.
- Remove the no-longer-necessary Telligent.Evolution.VideoTranscoding.FileViewer override, webm MimeTypes override, and videotranscoding CentralizedFileStorage override from Web/communityserver_override.config.
- Remove the no-longer-necessary videotranscoding CentralizedFileStorage override from Web/communityserver_override.config.