Decay is a factor in the Score service results for content, user, and group quality. It is possible to enable or disable decay from the site level. It's also possible from the site level to enable individual application overrides that customize decay in a group's application(s).
Decay is a counter to stagnation that acts so that recent actions count more than actions in the past, and the effects of older actions decay (lessen) over time. If you have too strong decay values, older and more established content can have lowered scores, which in turn lowers its placement in search results, lowers the content quality score of the group and blog where it is located, and can lower the author quality score that the author has attained.
The site has site-wide default values for decay that apply to all scores individually. Telligent Enterprise 4.0 allows group owners or managers to override these individual default application-level values to be overriden by group managers. Note that this capability is added to the group manager/owner role, and cannot be granted to an individual as a single permission.
Enable decay at the site level
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > System administration > Site administration > Site configuration > Score configuration.
- Select the tab for the score you want to enable decay on. For example, you might want to set decay to yes for content quality, but leave it at no for all other settings. Then only the content quality scoring would be affected, and aging content would not count against author or group author quality.
The following screen shot shows part of the content quality scoring default for the site, and shows that decay has been set to yes for the score. Application-level decay overrides are allowed.
- Content quality
- Author quality
- Group author quality
- Abuse creator
- Abuse reporter
- If you wish to enable decay for this score, select Yes. The override option then becomes enabled.
- Select Yes for "allow group manager overrides" if you want to let group managers override these default site decay values.
Override decay for an application
- Navigate to Control Panel Dashboard > My groups > [group] > Configure > Score configuration. (Or from the group, click Edit this group in Blog Administration.) The group application score configuration window appears.
Only tabs that have decay enabled for them from the site-level setting are shown in the left-side tab list (in this case, only content quality).
- Determine which application you want to override (such as Sample Forum).
- Click Override for the application. The score override value appears.
In the following screen shot, the Sample Forum half life decay value is displayed. For example, if you set the half-life value at 30 days, content produced more than 30 days ago will have its content quality reduced by half.
The half life default, 30, has been changed to 60 below in order to make the forum content decay more slowly. If you set the value higher, the content will decay more slowly. If you set the value lower, the content will decay more quickly.